Quarantine School - Resource Pack #203 Apr 2020 | Gurjot Sidhu | 5 min read | Tags: #self-learning #tips #quarantine-school
This wasn't just an April Fool's prank! Good time to learn about toilets saving lives, flowers following patterns, and sharing memes on a postcard!
Quarantine School – Resource Packs
Engaging, exciting, thought-provoking learning triggers!
Beginning Wednesday, 1st April, 2020
CHECK IT OUT!
The learners are bored, the teachers are unavailable, and the parents are tired.
Chachi is here to help!
In the second resource pack of the Quarantine School series we have three new learning triggers. These should ideally be used by parents or teachers as conversation starters with learners. Based on the learner’s interest or your intended learning objective, you can pick whichever trigger you like and facilitate a journey of exploration!
Use the links below to jump to individual sections –
- Who saves more lives - a toilet or a doctor?
- Can a flower have 6 petals?
- Sharing memes on a postcard?
Who saves more lives - a toilet or a doctor? #
Cleanliness is a good thing - adults have always told us that. The government of India even launched the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan to bring clean sanitation facilities to every corner of our country.
- But why do we need to keep our surroundings clean? Why do we need to use toilets? What would happen if you didn't have a toilet in your house? How will the smell change? Will it affect your health? I know it’s funny but think about it!
- Some say that toilets save more lives than all the world’s doctors combined! Do you think that’s true? Try to find out what diseases are caused by lack of proper sanitation. Can you find out how many people die from diarrhea every year? This link has the answer! Can you find out all the diseases caused by contaminated water?
- Maybe now you see why washing hands is so important! Make a list of all the good cleanliness habits that can help prevent diseases and share it with your family.
Now imagine if the toilet did not exist, we would have to deal with so many infections and diseases so frequently. Hospitals would be filled with patients all the time. This is why a lot of scientists believe that the toilet is one of the greatest inventions of mankind.
Can a flower have 6 petals? #
Have you seen a flower? Of course you have. Have you ever counted its petals though? What if I told you that no flower in the world can ever have 6 petals? In fact, it can’t even have 4 petals. Or even 7. But it can have 3, 5 or 8 petals. Don’t believe me? Let’s find out!
Have you heard about the Fibonacci series? It’s simply a set of numbers that follow a simple formula – every number is the sum of the previous two numbers in the series. Here is what it looks like –
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, ...
- Do you see the pattern in these numbers? Can you find out what the next number will be? Try to find the next ten numbers in the series.
- Now let’s go back to our flower petals. Find some flowers near you and note down how many petals they have. Can you see a relationship between the number of flower petals and the Fibonacci numbers? Do you see the magic? Now do you believe what I said earlier? Do you see why a flower can’t have 6 petals?
- Do you want to see some more magic? Start dividing every two consecutive Fibonacci numbers. So you start with 1÷1, then 2÷1, then 3÷2, and so on… Use a calculator and do this for the first 15 numbers. Now search for “golden ratio” online and find out what its value is.Do you see a similarity between the golden ratio and the division that you calculated?
Fibonacci numbers and the golden ratio have many, many more magical properties. You can learn more about them by watching this video.
Sharing memes on a postcard? #
Have you ever seen a postcard? Postcards are wonderful little combinations of communication and art. Services like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and Instagram have led a revolution in instant messaging but it wasn’t always this way – you had to wait for many weeks before receiving a response to your message! It may sound boring but it is actually very exciting.
- Ask the adults in your family if they have ever sent a postcard. Find out their favourite memory related to postcards!
- Do you know that a standard postcard costs only 50 paise? It’s cheaper than most toffees and chocolates! How do you think it is so cheap when it involves so much effort?
- If you were to write a postcard to your friend what you would write to them? Maybe you could tell them a joke. Or share a meme! How would share a meme on a postcard? Think about it!
- Try to find out what other modes of postal communication are available in India. Visit the India Post website to find out!
- Do you think people still use postcards these days? Who are these people and what do they do with postcards? Read this article to find out!
Follow us on our social media handles (links at the bottom of the page) to stay updated with these posts. Make sure to check the Resources section below for more.